Applicants must review the Driving and Drug Usage Standards and self-screen for automatic disqualifiers before completing the supplemental questionnaire.
The following driving standards represent the maximum allowable violations of driving laws and must not exceed six (6) total points in the last 36 months. As part of the background investigation, each candidate’s driving record will be obtained and reviewed. Other driving offenses not listed here will be assessed point values on a case by case basis.
Points Driving Violations
8 Revocation of driver’s license
8 Denial of issuance of driver’s license
8 Negligent homicide
8 Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
8 Reckless driving (involving an accident)
6 Reckless driving (no accident involved)
6 Negligent driving (involving an accident)
4 Negligent driving (no accident involved)
8 Hit and run (attended)
6 Hit and run (unattended)
4 Driving while driver’s license suspended
Speeding in excess of the posted limit
2 0-14 over
3 15-19 over
6 20-25 over
8 over 26
4 Convictions or forfeitures (paid fines) for other moving violations involving an
2 Convictions or forfeitures for other moving violations each violation not involving an accident
Drug Usage Standards
It is common for candidates to have experimented with or casually used substances in their past. The following standards reflect the maximum allowable uses of these illegal drugs. Any uses over the allowed standard are automatically disqualifying. Each category mentioned below includes all derivativesof these controlled substances.
Drug Free: With the exception of marijuana, each applicant must be drug free for a minimum of three (3) years prior to application. Your stated past drug usage will be confirmed by a background investigation and a polygraph examination.
No use within the last twelve (12) months
Patterns of illegal use of obtaining prescriptions under false pretenses will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
Illegal use of aerosols will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
No use within the last three (3) years
Use within the last five (5) years will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
Stimulants/Amphetamines, Cocaine, Hallucinogens, and Opiates
No use for the last five (5) years
– No illegal drug use while employed in a criminal justice capacity (including volunteer, intern, Explorer and Reserve Officer Positions)
– Illegal manufacturing, cultivating or selling of ANY drug, including marijuana, will be carefully reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
– Any other history or pattern of drug use outside these standards will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Note: While this list is not all-inclusive, use of any controlled substance not listed here will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Automatic Disqualifiers – applicants will be disqualified for any of the following:
– Any adult felony conviction.
– Adult misdemeanor convictions of moral turpitude (any conviction will be carefully reviewed).
– Been convicted of any crime under a domestic violence statute.
– Withdrawn from consideration for any (law enforcement/fire/corrections/dispatch) employment because of the following reasons: Untruthfulness.
– Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.
– Lied during any stage of the hiring process.
– Falsified his or her application, personal history questionnaire, or any other forms during the hiring process.
– Previous revocation or denial of (CJTC/POST) certified status or suspension of current (CJTC/POST) certified status.
– Failure to pay income tax or child support.
**Current credit accounts or unresolved accounts in collection will be carefully reviewed.